Fancy some cheese recipes? A gathering is coming up and you need some food ideas? Thanks to a selection of cheeses from Emborg, available on WhatsInStore, we are here to help!
Choosing the right foods for a party or small gathering can be a headache. You want to choose the right items and ensure that there is something for everyone. When in doubt, we tend to opt for cheese recipes.
Most people love cheese. Most of us have memories helping out in the kitchen by grating up large chunks of cheddar cheese whilst our parents were preparing food. Cheese is comfort food. Cheese recipes are tasty. The variety of cheeses available also means there is a cheese recipe for everyone. Hard or soft, tangy or sweet? Cream cheese desserts, or a nice plate of mac and cheese? How about a good carbonara recipe full of Pecorino Romano cheese? So many cheese recipes to choose from!
When it comes to preparing for gatherings or a house party, we follow three main guidelines – most items are based on cheese; we want easy-to-eat items; food items that don’t take ages to prepare but can still impress our guests.
In this article we recommend our top seven cheese recipes so that you can create some super cheesy party food items, using a selection of Emborg cheeses thanks to Whatsinstore, including staples such as cheddar cheese (three types) and brie. Some of these cheese recipes will surprise you with how simple they are to prepare, and yet they will still look impressive to serve!
Onion and Herb Emborg Cheddar Soft Pretzels
The main surprise in our cheese recipes selection! Onion and Herb Cheddar soft Pretzels are a lot simpler to cook than you’d expect. This was the first time we tried to make these and they came out great. All of our guests loved them.
- 450 g of bread flour
- 1 pack instant yeast
- 250ml water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 200g Emborg Mild Cheddar
- 1 tbsp. mixed Italian herbs
- 1 small onion
- 1 large egg
- Sea salt
- Mix the water, yeast and brown sugar in a bowl. Leave aside for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, sift the flour and mix in a pinch of salt.
- Combine the yeast mixture to the flour and salt until a dough is formed. Knead for a few minutes. Add more flour or water as required.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, herbs and chopped onion to the mixture. Leave aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 220 degrees Celsius.
- Knead the dough for another few minutes. Take a ball of dough and roll in a rope shape about 3cm in width. You should be able to make 6 ‘ropes’ from the entire dough.
- Shape the rope-shaped dough in the form of a pretzel.
- Beat a large egg and give each pretzel an egg wash.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place each pretzel with enough space in between. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Emborg Cheddar and Chili Chicken Wings
This is one of Jonathan’s favourites. He’s a big fan of chicken wings so obviously uses any home gathering as a good excuse to serve chicken wings. These chicken wings are served with a cheddar sauce and topped with chopped chilli.
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g Emborg Vintage Cheddar
- 60 g butter
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 fresh chili
- Wash the chicken wings and dry them properly with kitchen paper
- In a bowl, mix the salt and baking powder with the chicken wings
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Bake the chicken wings for 30 minutes on both sides
- In a pan, heat the butter and hot sauce together. Add in the soy sauce.
- Add in the grated cheddar cheese and keep stirring.
- When the chicken wings are cooked, mix the cheese sauce with the chicken wings.
- Add sliced chili and serve.
Baked Potatoes Stuffed With Emborg Cheddar, Bacon and Chives
Baked potatoes are great for parties because they’re visually appealing, delicious and quite filling. You can prepare them in advance and then heat them up for when you are ready to serve.
- 6 baking potatoes
- 100 g bacon
- 100 g butter
- 100 g Emborg Red Cheddar and 50g for topping
- 4 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives
- Preheat the oven at 220 degrees Celsius
- Wash the potatoes, sprinkle with salt and bake for one hour.
- Fry the bacon until crisp
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove the top of each potato and carve out the insides.
- Mix the potato insides with the butter, cheese and sour cream. Then add the bacon and the chives to the mixture. Add salt according to taste.
- Stuff the potatoes with the mixture. Top with the additional cheddar cheese.
- Grill for 10 minutes until golden brown.
Baked Emborg Camembert in Pastry With Nuts and Cranberries
This is my favourite recipe of the lot. It is not only beautiful and quite the party-stunner, but it also tastes amazing. The combination of baked camembert with nuts and cranberries sitting in a pastry parcel works incredibly well. A very simple dish to prepare but definitely one your guests will talk about for days.
- 1 wheel of Emborg Camembert
- 1 roll of puff pastry
- 1 handful of walnuts
- 1 handful of shelled pistachios
- 1 handful of dried cranberries
- Slice the camembert in half.
- Place the crushed walnuts, crushed pistachio and dried cranberries in the center
- Wrap in puff pastry
- Bake at 220 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Thick Sandwich With Emborg Brie Cheese
Being Maltese, we love our bread. So, it is almost impossible that we would have any sort of event without including our beloved Maltese bread. We are blessed to find so many different bakeries serving delicious Maltese loaves around the island. We prefer getting a whole loaf and slicing it ourselves so that we can ensure that the slices are really thick. You can cut these sandwiches into smaller parts so that they are easy to share.
- 1 small Maltese bread loaf (not sliced)
- 1 wheel Emborg Brie
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 jar pickled peppers
- A selection of hams
- Slice two thick pieces of Maltese bread and grill in the oven.
- Spread English mustard on one slice of bread and whole grain mustard on the other.
- Layer pickled peppers, ham, and cucumber.
- Slice the brie in half and put one half on each side.
- Grill for 5 to 10 minutes
Summer Watermelon and Peach Feta Salad
This salad is great for summers. Watermelons are in season and the colours just scream freshness. This salad adds a bit more colour to the table and can make for a great side-dish.
- 1 packet mixed salad leaves
- 1 jar Emborg Feta & Olives in Oil
- 1 peach
- 1 slice of watermelon
- In a bowl place the mixed salad
- Slice the peach and mix with the mixed salad
- Chop the watermelon in cubes and mix in bowl
- Slice the cucumber and mix with the salad
- Drain the feta and olives and add to the salad
- Mix well and serve
Cookies and Cream Cheese Dessert
This recipe is actually one of Jonathan’s. I love preparing this because it is beautiful, easy and it gets even better the earlier you prepare it. That means you can prepare this from the day before your guests arrive and don’t have to stress about it on the day.
- 1 packet sandwich cookies
- 300g Emborg Cream Cheese
- 80g butter
- 2 tsp of sour cream
- Red currant berries to decorate
- Twist apart each cookie and scrape off the cream into a small bowl
- Crush the biscuits and mix in 80 grams of melted butter
- Mix 150 gr of cream cheese with the cream
- Mix 150 gr of cream cheese with 2 teaspoons of sour cream
- In Martini glasses, put a layer of biscuits, cream mixture, biscuits, cream cheese and repeat until glass is full
- Top with berries to decorate.
- Keep in a fridge to chill until serving
Original article by OMGFoodMalta.